4 Benefits Of Shopping Small & Other Things To Consider
Shopping with a small business might not always be the easiest choice. With big companies like Amazon, eBay, and Walmart often offering lower prices, it's tempting to give up your local shop for something new that is just a few clicks and a short drive or delivery fee away. But have you considered the benefits of shopping with a small business? Based on SBA's definition, there are currently 31.7 million small businesses in the US. Read on to find out why they're here to stay!
The Pros of Shopping with a Small Business
When you shop with a small business, you are supporting your community in many ways. Small businesses with employees provide jobs and help to boost the local economy. They also offer unique products and services that you can’t find at big box stores. Here are some of the other benefits of shopping with a small business:
- Personalized Service: Small businesses offer personalized quality customer service that (most times) you won't receive at a large store. The staff / owner gets to know you personally and can offer advice and suggestions based on your needs and interests. They know when you are a returning customer and often times will reward you for choosing them again.
- Unique & Quality Products: Small businesses often carry unique products! This is because they are able to personally source products from niche suppliers that meet the needs of their specific customer base. If they don't have what you are looking for, ask them! The owner is most likely willing and able to source the item for you and will be pleased to have the opportunity to serve you further.
- Competitive Prices & Loyalty Rewards Programs: Small businesses have to compete with larger stores in order to stay in business. This means that they often offer competitive prices on the products and services they provide. If you see a free loyalty rewards program, sign up for it for awesome discounts and rewards for returning. It's a win, win!
- Beautifully Customized Packaging: First impressions mean the world to a small business. If their niche allows by any margin, you can expect your packaging to have some serious attention to detail and even customization. Many small businesses ask if your purchase is a gift and will do even more to gain a repeat customer. Along with being personally handmade, I often shop with other small businesses & makers via ETSY for custom small business packaging materials where I can shop small in one place.
The Cons of Buying from a Large Company
We all know the feeling of walking into a big box store and being overwhelmed with the sheer number of options. Do you want the red shirt or the blue one? The store is so huge that it’s easy to get lost in and feel like you’re just a small fish in a big pond. This is why I personally prefer to shop online. When you shop at a small business, you are the big fish. The staff gets to know you and your preferences, which can make shopping a more personalized experience.
Don't get me wrong, there are some drawbacks to shopping at small businesses, too. They may not have the same selection as larger stores, so you may have to settle something not exactly like what you came in for. Some small businesses also tend to be more expensive than their big box counterparts. But even with these drawbacks, there are still plenty of reasons to support small businesses. When you shop at a small business, you’re investing in your community and most often supporting a lifelong dream. You’re also more likely to find unique items that you won’t find anywhere else. So the next time you need to buy something, think about patronizing a small business first instead of a large one.
What to Consider When Shopping
When it comes to shopping, small businesses offer many benefits that you may not find at big box stores. Here are a few things to consider when shopping small:
- Personalized Service - When you shop with a small business, you can expect A1 customer service. The owner or staff will get to know you and your preferences, which can make your shopping experience more enjoyable.
- Unique Products - Small businesses often carry products that are unique or hard to find. This can be a great way to find gifts for people who are difficult to shop for.
- Support the Local Economy - Shopping with small businesses helps to support the local economy. By keeping your dollars local, you can help to ensure that there will be a thriving business community in your area for years to come.
When you shop with small businesses, you are supporting your local community and economy. You are also likely to find better customer service and more unique products than you would at a large chain store. Small businesses offer a level of personalization that big box stores cannot match, and they are often able to provide more specialized products, services & attention to detail. If you are looking for a more personalized shopping experience, consider patronizing your local small businesses.
Finally - You're going to feel great! Would you rather feel like another number by giving your hard earned money away to a company that often doesn't greet or wish you well on your day or feel amazing by knowing you helped support someones dream with your purchase?
You can find many opportunities to support small by visiting the Official Small Business Saturday Site
Thank you for supporting my dream by choosing Nail Candi & shopping small.